The Safe Tractor and Machinery Operation for Hispanic Youth program is a comprehensive program that provides culturally appropriate Spanish materials and video clips to teach some aspects of general farm safety and safe tractor and machinery operation to Hispanic youth. The video clips are only in Spanish, but the scripts, task sheets, and other instructional information are in English and Spanish.
The primary curriculum in this training program includes:
- 26 task sheets from the National Safe Tractor and Machinery Operation Program (NSTMOP) in English and Spanish and
- 38 short video clips available to accompany nine of the task sheets; the clips range from 10 seconds to 2 minutes.
The program includes the Instructor Manual: Safe Tractor and Machinery Operation for Hispanic Youth and Task Sheets: Safe Tractor and Machinery Operation for Hispanic Youth. All task sheets include learning objectives, safety content, and suggested student activities. The manual groups the task sheets according to how they may be used.
The program includes three evaluation documents to gather feedback for the instructors on their programs. Included in the evaluation are the PreOp Test Evaluation Form and the Driving Test Evaluation Form that should be used when field testing the students. The third document evaluates the amount of material that the students learn in the program.
To view the complete curriculum, click on the PDF links below:
Task Sheets with Videos
- Group 1 – Task Sheets 2.7, 2.9 and 2.10 – English Spanish
- Group 2 – Task Sheets 3.1, 3.2, 3.3, and 3.3.1 – English Spanish
- Group 3 – Task Sheets 4.6, 4.6.1, 4.6.5, and 4.6.6 – English Spanish
- Section 1 – Safe Clothing and Farm Work
- Section 2 – Personal Protective Devices
- Section 3 – Hand Signals
- Section 4 – Mounting/Dismounting and Starting/Stopping Tractors
- Section 5 – Mechanical Hazards
- Section 6 – Pre-Operational Check
- Section 7 – Video Clips for Evaluation
Supplemental Task Sheets
- Group 4 – Task Sheets 2.1, 2.3, 2.5, 2.5.3, 2.8, and 2.11 – English Spanish
- Group 5 – Task Sheets 4.2, 4.2a, 4.2b, 4.2c, 4.3, 4.12, 4.13, and 4.14 – English Spanish
- Group 6 – Task Sheets 5.1 and 5.4.1 – English Spanish
- Group 7 – Task Sheets 6.1 and 6.2 – English Spanish
This program was developed by the Pennsylvania State University, Department of Agricultural and Biological Engineering, Agricultural Safety and Health Program with funding support from the U.S. Department of Agriculture-National Institute of Food and Agriculture.